Aww, Maaaaaan! #IWSG

I swear I've had my latest insecurity picked out for the last month - and then I go and almost miss this month's meeting of the Insecure Writer's Support Group. I guess it's not all that surprising, though, seeing as my insecurity is that I've become awash in an utter lack of discipline when it comes to writing.

I've declared 2017 to be a Year of Writing for me - as in, a year of writing, writing, writing without a thought to the tasks that go into publishing. I'm, SO excited to go back into the writing bubble...it's just that I seem to have trouble getting myself in there. All of February has passed and all I've got is a rough outline of a novel and a first draft of a first chapter plus a few paragraphs into a second chapter.

My fear is that without any set deadlines, I won't make progress. So here's a deadline - entire first draft written by the end of September. No probs, right?

How do you keep yourself on task without a hard deadline?


This post is part of the monthly blog hop/therapy session known as Insecure Writer's Support Group, founded by the one and clonely Alex J. Cavanaugh. Click below to join the group!

Comments

You made it!
I am a very lazy writer, so without deadlines, I'm not writing anything. Giving yourself one sounds like a good idea.
I think you did rather well in February! Maybe Camp NaNo can help you with your draft by September goal?
L. Diane Wolfe said…
I'm going to join you in your deadline. Maybe we can both finish.
Jennifer Lane said…
I agree--February flew by. We both need to get going, critique partner! :-) I'm going to get you a chapter soon.
dolorah said…
I'm a last minute junky; seems I can't do anything until it reaches crisis stage to complete or have failure on my conscious, lol. So, without a deadline of some sort I find lots of things to procrastinate.

That writing bubble is a bubble; as in, it repels things. Like, writers that want to crawl into it, lol. Don't worry, I am sure now that you've owned this problem and reported it to the world, you'll be in that zone in no time. You did get an outline finished, and that's progress. Writing progress!!

Keep smiling Nicki; you're on a roll.
Karen Baldwin said…
Thanks for your comment on my blog for the IWSG. I need deadlines for getting things done otherwise they just float from day to day and at the end of a week, month...I'm saddened by my lack of focus and not producing much.
Cherie Colyer said…
Do goals count as deadlines? Probably not quite the same.

I'd say having the outline completed is a good start. You can totally complete the first draft by September! Happy writing!
Olga Godim said…
A deadline definitely is a great motivator. I'm a journalist, I write for a local newspaper, and sometimes, only my deadline forces me to finish an article.
Dihiwi said…
I almost missed this month's post as well. For me, it's been hard to find consistent time to write when there aren't 100 other distractions. I'm not a morning person so I think that's part of the problem. I keep reading about all of the writers who wake up at 5 a.m. How do I set my internal clock to want to get up at that hour. Do you have daily or weekly deadlines? Sometimes the smaller deadlines help, over the more lofty ones of "writing a book by September". Just a thought. Good luck with your writing! http://www.dianeweidenbenner.com/iwsg-chicken-or-the-egg/

Popular posts from this blog

Bring on the Romance!

80s TV Shows: Turbulent Tranquility

In which I get rated R...eh, maybe NC 17...